Pic(k) of the week 19: Cleared to land

The wait is finally over... a few days ago the UPS guys showed up with my brand-new Nikon D800. Even though, I booked the camera within the first hour of the announcement, I still had to wait three months for the thing to show up! I've been (and I still am) extremely happy with my trusty D700 but I guess it is now time for change! 

2012 Pic(k) of the week 19: Cleared to land

The day I got it, I happened to be close to Dubai airport, where I photographed this landing Airbus A330. This is one of the first images I shot with my new 36 million monster. 

Overall I'm very happy with the performance of Nikon's latest full frame camera but I'm still not too sure how I'll take care of the vast amount of data coming of these 32GB CF cards... While my D700 delivers RAW files of just under 10MB per file, the new one spits out close to 50MB files! A significant difference...


I'm not planning on doing a detailed review on the D800 but I'll probably blog more about it once I've used it a bit more extensively!


Going back to the image, I particularly like how the main landing gear looks like it is just about to touch down on the horizontal stabilizer. Needless to say all of this is a visual illusion.

Tomorrow, I'm off to Venice (Italy), piloting a similar flying machine as the one above. Needless to say my new girlfriend will travel with me...

Image details:
Nikon D800 with Nikkor 70-200 2.8 lens
ISO 200, 200mm, f2.8, 1/5000s
Lightroom 4 for RAW processing... yes it works with the D800
Black and White conversion with Nik SilverEfex 2

For the ones interested, yes, my D700 is up for sale. For those of you wanting to go full frame on a budget, this is a great opportunity! More info in this local UAE advert here.

Enjoy the rest of the week and don't forget, "click that shutter"!

BJORN
Follow me on:




Comments