Pic(k) of the week 6: Shooting the streets of Dubai

One of the reasons I bought the new FujiFilm X-E1 (alias Sexy-1) a few months ago, was to shoot more "Street Photography". For the ones unfamiliar with the term, lets revisit what "Street Photography" really is: 

First of all, it is something we easily throw out there but also equally struggle with to clearly define. Wikipedia's definition is: a style of documentary photography that features subjects in candid situations in public situations such as streets, parks, beaches, etc... No it doesn't necessarily need to be shot on a street! Probably the most known and important Street Photographer was Henri Cartier-Bresson. A link to his best known work can be found here.

My personal definition of Street Photography is when a photographer tries to capture a daily person(s) life without making them pose, often by shooting candid images. Although not a must, Black and White is well suited for Street Photography, especially when shooting midday in harsh light. 

One of the things I really like about Street Photography is the fact that one never knows what he/she will come home with... Some days produce no images, others plenty! 

2013 Pic(k) of the week 6: Street Photography in Dubai

While wondering around the Dubai Creek area last week, I had one of these better days. Sitting on a bench in Deira, watching the world go by, this older gentleman sat down next to me and started having a small snack. While I pretended playing with my camera settings, I made a few candid portraits.  I really like how he looks into the lens without realising his picture has been taken. Street Photography at its best!

Out of respect for the local culture, I'm careful not doing this same technique with Arabic women. 

Needless to say that smaller and quieter cameras like the Fuji are almost a must for this kind of photography. 

Image details:
FujiFilm X-E1 with the 18-55
ISO1600, 61mm, f4, 1/240s
In camera RAW conversion to jpeg
Lightroom 4.3. added vignette and light spilt tone

More than 150 of my best Street Photography images can be found my typing "Street photography" in the Find box on my site. I've done this for you here.

Lastly another great thing about this type of photography is that Street Photographers generally like to share and give things away for free. I therefore would like you to discover the following free eBooks written by two of the present day best street photogs:


Remember; "If your pictures aren't good enough, you aren't close enough" - Robert Capa

BJORN



Comments