Pic(k) of the week 46: The Yarra river (Melbourne) at night

This weeks Pic(k) of the week has been written well after midnight in a hotel room in downtown Melbourne, Australia. While battling with the effects of a 7 hours time change, I used the opportunity to do some night photography along the Yarra river just after sunset. It has been a while since I last visited the capital of Victoria and I was glad to see it still kept its nice cultural vibe.

Scattered clouds and moderate winds, made for a great background for the cityscape night shoot. I even got to experiment a bit with a variable ND (Neutral Density) filter for my small FujiFilm X-E1. Something I hope to do more off in the near future!



The image was shot about 30 mins after sunset on the Southbank in downtown Melbourne. It was converted to Black and White because I found the colour version a bit overwhelming. Some other colour images from the same shoot that did make it into my Melbourne Travel gallery, can be found here.

Image details:
FujiFilm X-E1 (alias Sexy-1) with 14mm Fujinon 2.8 lens
Mounted a MeFoto lightweight tripod
ISO 200, 24mm, (36 mm full frame equivalent), f 16, 20 s
Variable ND filter to allow a longer shutter speed
RAW development in Lightroom 5.2
Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 for black and white conversion

Once I'm back in Dubai on Monday, I will be pretty much heading straight out again in the same direction; Sydney Australia for 36hrs followed by a two week photo-adventure trip around the South Island of New Zealand. More on this upcoming photo trip in a separate post!




Comments