Pic(k) of the week 1: Last flight of the year - Piper Super Cub L-21B

First of all a HAPPY 2016 to all the readers! May the New Year be full of joy and happiness!

A new year, also means the start of the new "Pic(k) of the week series. Hard to believe that my weekly photography project is now in its sixth year; the first Pic(k) of the week dated January 4th 2009 can be found here. Even though a lot has changed in my photography over the last five years, the basic idea of my Pic(k) of the week remains the same; every week (normally somewhere in the middle of the week) I blog about an image that stood out and resonated to me; something that made it memorable in my photographic life!

Back to the first Pic(k) of the week for 2016:

Over the last few years it has become somewhat of a habit that whenever I visit my home country Belgium, I try to get a short flight in, the morning before I head back to Dubai. Such was the case on the last day of 2015, when I woke up before dawn and headed to my local airport at Wevelgem, where we keep our 1954 Piper Super Cub

It is hard to explain how the joy of taking to the sky at first light can be something magic… This specific flight was even better as during climb, the sun was rising over a dramatic low cloud base that was clearing on the Eastern horizon; a stiff head wind was giving us a groundspeed of 2 knots (yes, less than walking speed!) and finally we flew through a full rain-bow before landing. Only real aviators will understand the magic!

The image below of the 60+ year old vintage aircraft bathing in a beautiful early morning light, was made just after my magic flight”, on the early morning of December 31st. What a perfect way to close of a year and look forward to the next one! A pilots and photographers dream.


Image details:
Fujifilm X-T1 with the XF 18-135 Fujinon lens
ISO 400, f5.6, 1/480s, 41mm (62mm full frame equivalent)
Lightroom CC for RAW conversion
Nik ColorEfex with the Pro Contrast and Detail Enhancer filter

If you are new to the blog, make sure you check out the images of the 2015 Pic(k) of the week series here.

As usual for this time of the year, I will be blogging about my best 3 Architectural, Aviation and Travel images made in 2015, over the next few days...

Till then happy shooting,

BJORN


Comments