Pic(k) of the week 15: BEAUTIFUL BELGIUM - Windmill in Damme

My home country has been in the news for the wrong reasons again... On the morning of March 22nd, two cowardly terror attacks at the Brussels airport and a downtown metro station, killed 32 people (not including the suicide bombers as they are not human to me!) and injured over 300 innocent people. 

More than a week later, the attacks still dominate the news and Belgium has once again been (rightly?) criticised for not taking enough action against terrorism.

The small central European country I grew up in, has however a lot to offer! Something I wanted to show in my photography while I was on a weeklong visit last week.

One of these scenic places is the small village of Damme, just North of one of the most touristy places in the Western part of Belgium; the city of "Bruges" (Brugge). Damme is dominated by a labyrinth of long straight canals with hundreds of high trees. Horses used to pull the boats along the canals when Damme was the main port for Bruges in the 12th century. Click here for a typical image of the canals.

Along the main canal, called "Damse vaart", one can find what is probably the most photographed windmill in Belgium. The image below is of the Schellemolen in Damme; a windmill built in 1867 which was used for almost a full century.

Given there were no interesting clouds the day I was there, I tried including the reflection in the water. 


Image details:
Fujifilm X-Pro2 with the XF 16mm f1.4 WR lens
ISO 400, 1/3200s, f8
RAW development with Lightroom CC
Nik ColorEfex pro 4 for contrast optimisation

More images of Belgium can be found here.

I've been shooting exclusively with the new Fujifilm X-Pro2 for the last three weeks or so. For the ones that missed my X-Pro2 review, please click here

Remember, "When the winds of change blow, some people build walls, others build windmills". 

BJORN






Comments