Pic(k) of the week 1: Flying into the New Year over the O-14 building in Dubai

HAPPY 2017 to all my blog-readers! May the New year bring you good health, joy and happiness...

As I'm writing this, my Pic(k) of the week is entering its 8th year; yes that is right, seven years of continuous weekly posts without missing a single week so far. What started as a little experiment early 2010, has now become part of my life. 

My 2016 Pic(k) of the week images can be found here

The first Pic(k) of the week combines my two main passions; Aviation and Photography. While on an Architectural shoot at the O-14 building in Business Bay Dubai, I could hear an airliner fly overhead. Just as I looked up an Airbus A380 appeared in the top right corner and I was able to frame three images before it disappeared behind the building. The fact that it is the same type of aircraft I fly for a living made it that more special... 

Ironically, one year ago, Nikon Singapore gave a price for the best image to a similar image which can be found here. Only to find out that the image was fake and that the aircraft had been added in post-processing. Well, yours truly can assure you that my own version was all done in camera and is 100% real!  


Image details:
  • Fujifilm X-T2 with the XF14mm f2.8 lens
  • ISO 1600, 1/250s, f16
  • All editing done in Lightroom CC  
The O-14 building in Dubai, which is often also referred to as the "Cheese building", is a very innovative structure. The concrete shell with its 1300 holes, is what makes the building stand out. While the shell was mainly developed as a veil to protect the interior from the direct harsh sunlight and heat, a natural flow through the holes in between the shell and main structure, makes for a energy reduction of up to 30%.  

More Architectural photography from Dubai can be found here. 

As a yearly tradition, somewhere within the next week or so, I will blog what I think are my best 3 Architectural, Aviation and Travel images of the past year.


Remember: "Twelve significant photographs in a whole year is a good crop" - Ansel Adams.  



BJORN

Comments